Historic in Pembrokeshire

Caldey Island Boat Trips

Caldey Island is one of Britain's holy islands. The Cistercian monks of Caldey continue a tradition which began there in Celtic times. More than a thousand years of prayer and quiet living have made this remote and beautiful island a haven of tranquillity and peace. The monks and islanders of Caldey are pleased to welcome day-visitors to share the delights of their island home throughout the summer season. You can explore the historic Old Priory and the medieval churches or join the free guided walk for a closer look at the island's heritage. You may like to drop in at the Video Centre to find out more about life in the Monastery. Visitors are also welcome to attend the one of the short chanted services in the Abbey Church, which form part of the daily prayer life of the monks.

A walk up to the Lighthouse opens up spectacular panoramic views of the Pembrokeshire Coast, Tenby and the Preseli Hills, the Gower Peninsula and Lundy Island. In the village you can buy the perfumes, chocolate and shortbread made on the island. The Village Post Office is also a museum giving an interesting insight into Caldey's history. Postcards and special covers are franked with the Caldey Island handstamp. A fleet of boats runs to the island from Tenby Harbour from Easter to October. These boats, which are licensed and strictly supervised by the Marine Coastguard Agency, are owned by local boatmen, many of whom are members of the crew of the Tenby Lifeboat. Please note: Crossing time is about 20 minutes and all trips are weather permitted.

Please Note: Dogs are welcome but must be kept on leads at all times and you need cash for the boat trip across. 

Camarthen Castle
The castle at Carmarthen is overlooking the River Twyi, , the Roman fort must have dominated the Roman town. The castle was converted into a prison in the 18th and 19th centuries, and the building of the Council offices has also not helped its appreciation as a military entity. However, enough remains to make a visit worthwhile. Free Town and Castle tours which take place from Castle House during the summer months and on most Wednesdays, depending on weather conditions.
Cardigan Castle
Cardigan Castle is a magnificent castle which boasts some 900 years of history. It was once captured by Rhys ap Gruffudd who hosted an Eisteddfod, has been visited by King Edward I and Henry Tudor, it has been subject to burning leaving it partially demolished, before being purchased by Ceredigion County Council in 2003 and undertaking serious renovations enabling it to open its doors to the public as a heritage attraction in 2015.
Carew Castle & Tidal Mill

Built in timber around 1100 by Gerald of Windsor, this now-ruined stone castle is a very popular historic attraction. The walk around the Castle and Tidal Mill is particularly popular with dog owners. The walk is a great free attraction, however there are admission charges upon entry to the castle. Carew Castle often hosts special events throughout the year, see their website for more information.

Please Note: Well behaved dogs are welcome inside the castle providing they are kept on a short lead. 

Carew Cheriton Control Tower
Carew Cheriton control tower museum, restored to original state as part of a community project. A lasting memorial to all who served on the airfield through two world wars. The airmen who main the supreme sacrifice during those years. A structure for educational use focused on school and group visits who are studying this period of modern day history. A tourist attraction offering a wartime experience.
Castell Henllys
Situated in North Pembrokeshire, Castell Henllys is an extraordinary day out for anyone interested in history. With a reconstructed Iron Age Hill fort, Castell Henllys is set in 26 acres of woodland on excavated remains from over 2000 years ago. Particularly interesting is the three large replica roundhouses, the granary and forge.
Cenarth Falls
The River Teifi has made its way through the hard rocks to produce a spectacular series of waterfalls. There has been a Mill at Cenarth at least since the 13th century, the river Teifi surrounding the mill is a well known salmon leap where the fish can be watched leaping up the falls.
Chapel Bay & Fort Museum

A military fortress, museum and cafe located within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. The museum at Chapel Bay Fort is illustrated and explains military technology and weaponry through the ages, with a variety of displays including artillery and associated tools and instruments, WW I, Bomb Disposal and Waterloo amongst others. Volunteers are on hand to answer any question and add to your appreciation of the displays.

Guided tours are conducted by a dedicated team of volunteers and provide access to areas of the fort which are otherwise out of bounds to the public. Tours present further information about Chapel Bay Fort and the defences of Milford Haven and the Royal Dockyard at Pembroke Dock, alongside information about the large exhibits displayed on the terreplein of the fort.

A tour lasts approximately 40 minutes, and is included in the entrance fee to the museum.

Cilgerran Castle
Cilgerran Castle is situated in a stunning location overlooking the Teifi with two massive round towers still standing today. This was first established by the Normans as a ringwork castle and is approximately 800 years old. Entry to this castle is free during the winter months, and is free all year round to National Trust Members and the disabled. Please Note: Dogs must be kept on leads.
Dylan Thomas Boat House

Celebrating the life famous Welsh poet Dylan Thomas lived whilst in Laugharne, the Dylan Thomas Boathouse is most definitely an attraction not to be missed. Dylan wrote some of his most famous pieces in his Writing Shed above the Boat House, including "Under Milk Wood". Since Dylan's death, the Boathouse has welcomed visitors setting up a Tea Rooms offering local produce on its menu, along with a Gift Shop and an exhibition which includes a 24 minute film.

Dogs are allowed in the garden and on the terrace provided they are kept on leads, but only guide dogs are allowed inside. There are no parking facilities.

Foel Drygarn
Set in the Eastern Preselis, Foel Drygarn (also known as Foel Trigarn) can only be accessed via a footpath, however there is nearby parking. It is the remains of a large Iron Age Hill-fort covering almost 4 hectacres, with three defended enclosures, and three large cairns each three metres in height. Historians state that it is likely to have been a heavily populated fortified village which was built sometime between 650BC and 100AD.
Gwili Steam Railway

Head to Gwili Steam Railway for an insight into the history of local and wartime industries with steam locomotives and a standard gauge preserved railway. Gwili Steam Railway is mostly run by volunteers and much assistance from the Gwili Railway Preservation Society. Go along for cream tea or one of their dining experiences. They also hold special events throughout the year including a Murder Mystery Evening and a Santa's Magical Steam Trains event at Christmas time.

Please Note: Not all aspects are disabled friendly, and dogs are welcomed but not allowed in the dining car. 

Haverfordwest Castle & Town Museum
Originally constructed in the 12th Century as a fortress made from timber, and has seen visits from a number of famous names including Oliver Cromwell and King Richard II. The castle was later reconstructed in stone, and was often used to house prisoners before being replaced by a new prison building inside the castle grounds in the 19th Century. This building is now home to the Pembrokeshire Records Office. Not much remains of the stone castle other than the stone wall which grandly looks upon the small town below it. A must-visit is the Town Museum, located in the Old Prison Governor's House. With artefacts, prints, paintings and models, this museum tells the history of the castle and the surrounding town.
Lamphey Bishop's Palace
Once a retreat for medieval bishop's seeking a tranquil surrounding away from the Church, Lamphey Bishop's Palace has been extremely well preserved despite dating back centuries. The Western Hall, Inner Gatehouse and the 82 foot long Great Hall are still an impressive sight to see. Please note: Dogs must be kept on leads at all times.
Laugharne Castle
Overlooking the Taf estuary, Laugharne Castle was built a traditional medieval castle in the 13th Century before it was later used as a Tudor mansion. The castle is home to extensive grounds with both Georgian and Victorian gardens, which were largely used by Richard Hughes and Dylan Thomas when they needed peace for their writing.
Llansteffan Castle
Llansteffan Castle stands high in an impressive location overlooking the Tywi river. What once was a significant 12th Century ringwork castle in charge of controlling an important river crossing, all that is left to see now is a set of stone castle ruins situated at the top of a hill which was once home to a 6th Century BC Iron Age Hill Fort. Accessible only by a public footpath and lane which may be steep and uneven in places. Stroll around the interior walls and the upper levels of the main gatehouse. There is no public access to the Iron Age earthworks.
Llawhaden Castle
Llawhaden is a 12th Century fortified Bishop's Palace, which was first built as a ringwork castle. If visiting, make sure to check out the ruined chapel of Llawhaden Hospital nearby. Entry is free. Please Note: Dogs must be kept on leads at all times.
Manorbier Castle
Conquered by a Norman knight in 1003, this castle was initially built in Motte-and-Bailey before being refortified in stone. This castle is full of history after being attacked twice during minor wars and it was seized during the English Civil War. In the late 1800's, repairs took place on the building and castle walls. This castle is now closed until March 2015. Please Note: Dogs must be kept on leads at all times.
Milford Haven Museum
The Museum is housed in one of the oldest buildings in Milford Haven. The Museum collection reflects all of these aspects of the town's history, but focuses particularly on the maritime history. The Museum is a voluntarily run museum.
Narberth Castle
First recorded as a Norman Castle in 1116, Narberth Castle bears the legend that it was once a palace described in the mythical tales of Mabinogion. Unfortunately, very little of the stone structure remains but you can see that it was once rectangular in shape with circular towers. By the end of the 20th Century, Narberth Castle was derelict and so in 2006, renovations took place and it was opened to the public.
Narberth Museum
Narberth Museum is a great visit for all the family, learn all about the history of Pembrokeshire's little market town. With it's own bookshop and cafe, you can easily spend an afternoon here learning all about local history.
National Wool Museum
The National Wool Museum is set in the Teifi valley, this museum displays the historical woollen industry which once was such a significant part of Welsh culture. See the historically used machinery and view the entire process of turning fleece into fabric with the purpose-built raised walkway. Follow "A Woolly Trail" and give carding, sewing and spinning a go!
Newcastle Emlyn Castle
Newcastle Emlyn Castle is situated overlooking the Teifi river, and is now mostly ruins of the stone building it once was. Believed to have been built using Dyfed welsh stone, this castle has been subject to many attacks up until 1645 when it was blown up with gunpowder during the English Civil War.
Pembroke Castle
Built in 1093 with timber, before being rebuilt in 1189 with a stone structure, this castle is ovular in shape and surrounded by a mill pond. This castle has a gated house with a circulated keep, and has been extensively restored. Please Note: Dogs must be kept on leads.
Pembrokeshire Motor Museum
Pembrokeshire Motor Museum has over forty motor cars on display, from veteran cars to classic cars. For each car on display, you can see a complete history. All cars are in excellent condition and are occasionally used by their owners for vintage car rallies etc. so please bear in mind that cars may not always be on display. The Motor Museum is also home to a licensed bar, a magazine and video lounge where you can read and watch all about motoring.
Pentre Ifan
Nestled in the heart of Pembrokeshire coast, this cromlech is topped with a 15 ton capstone making it an incredible sight to see. Full of history, this area is where the original Stonehenge bluestones originated. It dates back to the Neolithic era. Please Note: Assistance Dogs only. There is limited parking nearby.
Picton Castle & Woodland Gardens
Built in the 13th Century, this castle is half fortified manor house and half fully developed medieval castle surrounded by forty acres of land and gardens. The castle and gardens is closed over the winter months for essential maintenance but is open for special occasions. Please Note: Dogs must be kept on leads at all times.
Scolton Manor & Country Park
Scolton Manor was built in 1842 as a family home, and was even used as a hospital during World War 2. It is now a Victorian Manor House and Museum, set in a luxurious 60 acres of country park and woodland, with a wide variety of wildlife. The park is open all year, whilst the Manor House is closed during the winter months. The Manor House will be opening again in March 2015, and times will be confirmed nearer the time. Please Note: Admission to the Park is free, whilst charges to the Manor House apply. Dogs must be kept on leads at all times, and are allowed in the Park only.
Solva Woollen Mill
Solva Woollen Mill is the oldest working woollen mill in Pembrokeshire and is now the only mill in Wales specialising in flat woven carpets, rugs and runners. Its a family business but visitors are welcome to the mill to wander through the weaving sheds, chat to the weavers as they are warping, splitting yarn or weaving. There is a mill shop housed carding engines and spinning mules and a tearoom which is located in the old dye shed, selling tea, coffee and homemade cakes.
St. David's Bishop's Palace
Located next to the Cathedral, this Bishop's Palace was originally built and established as a monastery in the 6th Century by Saint David. Most of the structure for this building remains however the Palace is now without a roof. Please note: Dogs must be kept on leads at all times.
St. David's Cathedral
A popular destination for pilgrimages, this Cathedral is a huge attraction for those interested in Welsh history and/or religion. St. David's Cathedral as we know it today replaced a monastery which was originally founded on the site by Saint David around 589 AD. Not only is it named after our Patron Saint of Wales, but it also contains a shrine to him. The Cathedral still operates a traditional communion service and also holds various special events such as the annual Cathedral Festival. Please note: Admission is free, but donations are encouraged.
St. Dogmael's Abbey & Coach House
St. Dogmael's Abbey was founded on the banks of the River Teifi in 1115 for Tironian Monks, before being given the status of Abbey in 1120. Fortunately there are extensive remains to visit today, original 15th Century floor tiles can still be seen along the nave of which the west and north walls stand nearly to their original height. The Coach House is set in the surroundings of the Abbey ruins, and is now home to a museum and visitor centre where they have a collection of carved stones that were once part of the abbey on display.
St. Govan's Chapel
A must see for those who adore the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, this is a tiny Chapel built into the side of a cliff overlooking the ebbing sea. To access this historical site, you must climb down a steep set of steps which is accompanied by a hand rail. Legend has it that you can't count the same number of steps down as you can back up - give it a go!
St. Non's Chapel and Holy Well
The birthplace of Saint David, this Chapel was built in 1934 on the site of the original house where Non had lived. The Chapel and its accompanying Holy Well were built in dedication to Saint Non, and have since become popular destinations for pilgrimages. Legend has it that springs appeared at each of the significant milestones of Saint David's life, and many believe this Holy Well appeared during his birth and holds many special healing powers.
Stackpole Estate
Stackpole estate is a beautiful stretch of coastline owned by the National Trust, with sandy beaches, wooded valleys and lily ponds. Stackpole is a international nature reserve with a footpaths from Stackpole Court. Lots of wildlife habitat from otters, water birds and dragonflies and cliffs tiny coves and sandy dunes. From Stackpole you can reach Barafundle Bay which is a walk along the cliff path and down steep steps. Stackpole Quay itself also has a tiny harbour used by local fishermen and small pleasure boats.
Stepaside Ironworks and Colliery
Stepaside Ironworks originally opened in 1849, obtaining ore from the Amroth area and was transported by Saundersfoot railway. The Ironworks are now very much a ruins nowadays with the Engine Blasting House and the Casting House being more well-preserved.
Strumble Head Lighthouse
Strumble lighthouse, erected in 1908, is actually situated on the small island of Ynsmeicel, reached by a small footbridge on the North West tip of Pembrokeshire, 5 miles west of Fishguard. The circular stone tower is 55ft high and still contains the original lantern. Please Note: The Lighthouse is automated so unfortunately there isn't any access onto the island.
Tenby Castle
Tenby Castle was originally built by the Normans in the 12th Century, of which only a small tower remains on the top of Castle Hill. The town walls however, which it is believed were built later on in the 13th Century, are impressively well preserved, with the east walls running complete to the Esplanade.
Tenby Museum & Art Gallery

Tenby Museum is in a superb location atop Castle Hill, overlooking Caldey Island and Carmarthen Bay. The museum itself is home to a number of displays and exhibits including a maritime display, a Roald Dahl exhibit and a WWI exhibition. A really popular attraction is The Story of Tenby gallery where you can learn all about the local history of the seaside town. There are interactive activities and audio visual displays to keep the little ones entertained during your visit. Also making home inside Tenby museum is a library and archive, both of which store information on local history and natural history as well as many items which link back to the area. Inside the Museum is two art galleries which host a programme of changing works and exhibitions. Pay a visit to the shop where you will be able to purchase unique gifts and prints. or enjoy a trip to the coffee shop for a refreshing hot drink with a beautiful view. 

The Last Invasion Tapestry Gallery
Learn all about the last British Invasion which occurred in February 1797 with a 30 metre award-winning tapestry at the library in Fishguard Town Hall. Added storyboards and artefacts are used to help guide your learning, and you can even learn all about the making of the tapestry in their audio visual room!
Tudor Merchant's House
Be transported back in time at Tudor Merchant's House, a museum displaying a three storey house of a merchant in the year 1500. See the merchant's shop and working kitchen on the ground floor, with a living area on the first for the family., and sleeping chambers on the second. Braille guides are available. Please note: There are no toilet facilities.
West Wales Museum of Childhood
The West Wales Museum of Childhood offers a real insight into childhood and toys of the past. With teddy bears, dolls houses, Dinky toys, railway miniatures and various film/television related toys - there is plenty to see! Make an afternoon of it and pop into their tea rooms before or after your visit!
Y Felin Mill
Adjacent to St. Dogmaels Abbey and alongside a mill pond, this is one of the last working water mills in Wales which produces a range of stoneground flour.
Chat With Us Now! 01437 765 765